The state controlled Herald has been sued for $1million in damages by former NetOne Chief Executive Officer, Reward Kangai, Bulawayo24.com has learnt.
Kangai says he was unfairly treated by the Herald over a series of articles which he said painted him as a "dubious and dishonest crook".
"Wherefore, Plaintiff prays for against the defamatory jointly and severally each paying the other to be absolved, $1 000 000.00, ($1 million united states dollars) in respect of delictual damage to his reputation on account of the defamatory article"
"Particularly , the article was made with the intention to defame the plaintiff and injure his reputation .
"The article was understood by the readers to mean that the plaintiff was a corrupt, dishonest and conniving crook who generated dubious procurements purported to be software and hardware for the mobile operator" read part of the summons.
Former Finance minister Tendai Biti is representing Kangai.
Kangai was initially sent on forced leave in March last year and officially suspended without pay and benefits on October 6 to facilitate investigations over the alleged abuse of millions of dollars.
His contract was subsequently terminated on October 12 on a three-month notice